The Black Forest Woodworker is Helko’s flagship piece. This axe is the quintessential tool for the experienced woodsman, with a compact size that makes it a versatile packing tool and lightweight work axe. Features Helko’s famous Rheinland pattern axe head, named for the country’s Rhein River Valley, where cutting axes like these have been in use for centuries. The Black Forest Woodworker performs exceptionally well as a cutting tool for felling small trees, limbing branches, and clearing saplings. It is also suited for light duty splitting work, such as making kindling and small firewood.
– Head Weight: 2 ¼ lbs.
– Total Weight: 3 ½ lbs.
– Bit Length: 4 ½ in.
– Handle Length: 24 in.
– Hand forged using a drop hammer on open dies
– Premium grade C50 high carbon steel
– 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
– Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
– Individually selected for grain orientation and density
– Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
– Hung with hardwood wedge and steel ring wedge