5 lbs. single bit splitting axe with a 28 in. straight wooden handle.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Larger poll, balanced head, and wedge shaped blade.
- 5 lbs. head weight.
- 4 ¾” Bit length from toe-to-heel.
- 7 3/8” Overall head length from bit-to-poll.
- Wedge-shaped blade, with a high centerline, to help keep it from sticking while splitting.
- 25 deg. Convex bevels/bit
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Head coated with boiled linseed oil to deter rust with Sport Utility forged finish.
- 36 in. straight American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Approximately 1/2 in. of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle, hung proud with a traditional wood and steel wedge.
- Doubles as a faller’s axe, with chamfered poll corners and radius corners all around the outer poll face, so that it does not cause excessive damage while driving HDPE plastic felling wedges.