The Bavarian Woodworker is a cutting axe with a traditional German wide-bit blade to be used for heavy cutting and felling tasks. This sharp, slim, wide-bit woodworker head will outperform most American patterned felling axes at cutting tasks, and is quite capable for splitting work as well.
Each piece is hand crafted by Helko’s Master Smiths, lifelong artisans of metalcraft. The Smith uses tongs on an open face drop forge to shape the head, a skill requiring impressive control and hand eye coordination that can only be achieved through years of practice. Once satisfied with his work, the Smith hammers the Helko Werk crown logo into the cheek. Only minimal supplementary work is performed, allowing each blade to proudly display its forging marks. No two pieces are exactly alike.
- Handmade in Wuppertal, Germany
- German C50 high grade carbon steel
- Open face drop forged, heat treated, and oil-hardened
- Helko crown hammered into cheek
- 53-56 HRC (Rockwell Hardness)
- Crafted in Switzerland
- Sustainably sourced Grade A American hickory
- Individually selected for strength, grain orientation, and density
- Boiled linseed oil finish, 150 grit smooth sanded
- Hung with softwood wedge and notched steel ring wedge