3.5 lb. Jersey pattern single bit axe with phantom bevels and a 36″ curved handle. This shape features lugs or ears that increase the surface contact area with the handle. A full-sized felling axe for general axe chores. Phantom bevels or hallows are designed to reduce sticking and burst wood chips.
- Forged tool steel head. Made in USA.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge. The poll and eye walls are not hardened and remain in the as forged condition.
- Natural steel finish on head and cutting edge coated in clear lacquer to deter rust.
- 36″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a serrated aluminum wedge. The serrated shape improves bite and the aluminum choice of material is strong, lightweight and does not change size with moisture content.
- The interior detail of the eye is tapered and allows for a strong mechanical bond. Approximately 1/2″ of the overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.